Perhaps you’ve seen that the Supreme Court overturned the District’s gun ban. Several things to note:
1) Gun control laws are without a doubt effective at reducing gun crimes and homicides.
2) On the other hand, the District’s law was entirely futile, given that it borders a state with some of the loosest gun laws around.
3) I expect neither disaster nor nirvana to result from this ruling.
4) I will not be purchasing a gun; for the vast majority of the population gun ownership is almost certain to bring more bad effects than good ones.
5) While it’s nice to think that this might encourage the MPD to focus its resources on prevention, I suspect that it will instead encourage the MPD to focus its resources on firearm upgrades for its officers.
6) As annoying as the dueling “gun ban good”, “gun ban bad” newspaper columns were, we’ll all soon wish we had them back once the dueling “armed hero saves family”, “armed moron accidentally kills self, suspected intruder/mailman” newspaper columns begin rolling in.